[Dailydrool] poem

Margaret Honnold machonnold at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 30 18:35:50 PDT 2011

Bev, I too had to learn that poem.  Here is my version based on my experience with Xena the Warrior Mouser ATBand Noah ATB, my first Basset rescue.

 Maggie and Honnold's Hounds and 1 Firkitty....The Lady Thelma Lou, Huck the Hunk, The Gentle Phoebe Grace, and Cousin Bandit, plus Cali the Calico Cat. Hollyberry ATB, Noah ATB, Fergus ATB.

By way of explanation, my husband and I always ate dinner at night in front of the TV in our bedroom.

Rescued Companions
by Maggie Honnold
The rescued dog and
the rescued cat, side by side on the bedspread sat.
Eyeing each other…not
to close…not too far, wondering now should they sit there? Or spar?
A dinnertime drama
was about to unfold, who’d get the high ground? Their positions to hold?
For bed place positions
are important to claim …so they bully each other…it’s the name of the game.
In the past they’ve been
hungry, and tired and cold… they’d fought for each scrape… and growled, oh so
bold.
So it’s hard not to
push and to trust that this night, it wouldn’t be necessary for a dinner time
fight.
Wait, here comes
their mom with a plate for their dad, with salmon and green beans and rolls to
be had.
The smells fill the
room with aromas so sweet that it might be they could have a truce…just to eat.
For each of them knew
before supper was done their mom would begin to offer them some…
She would pick up her
fork and stab a small bite and under the nose of the one on the right…
she would offer the
fork and a bite they could take… so not a growl or a hiss or a noise will they
make.
For
now they are rescued, without hunger or pain, they know that this home is the
place they’ll remain
And
though they historically do not agree that a cat and a dog can all
friendly-like be
Drawn
together by rescue, a history shared… gives appreciation to each and helps them
to bear…
The
necessity which comes from a dinnertime where... both of the rescues must just…
give up
and
share.