[Dailydrool] Basset Aggression

Elsamarie5 at cs.com Elsamarie5 at cs.com
Mon Oct 31 10:01:38 PDT 2011

Hi to all,
On the subject of Basset Rage, I am reminded of a Basset I got as a puppy
that came from a backyard breeder and was sweet as they come for about the
first year. Wendy was "raised" by my doxie, Elsa and they seemed to get along
fine until Wendy matured, then she wanted alpha position and would challenge
Elsa and the other dogs. One day as Elsa was coming through the front door
from the yard, Wendy attacked her and pinned her on her back against the
tile floor. I intervened in time to prevent any serious injuries, or so I
thought. 3 days later, Elsa woke up with paralysis from mid-back all the way to
her tail. I panicked, took her to the emergency Vet Hospital and was told
that to relieve the pressure on her spinal cord would take major surgery. Since
it was a holiday weekend, I had to wait 3 days before I could get her to a
vet who finally did the surgery (ka-ching$). She recovered mostly, but is
still incontinent of bowel and bladder and walks a little stiff in back legs.
I had Wendy put down, since I couldn't trust her not to attack again.
Later, when I did my homework for another Basset, I learned that poor pedigree
does make a difference. I made sure Archie's pedigree didn't include any
inbreeding and have had no aggression problems with "Mr Personality".
It is so disappointing to have to lose a dog (esp. a Basset) due to
aggressive behavior, they are famous for their layed back and loving personalities.
I had a Springer Spaniel/Aussie mix who was very aggressive and bit both
humans and other pets, the animal behaviorist I took him to agreed it was hard
wired into him and couldn't be treated. In every way, both these dogs were
perfect otherwise and the behavior didn't manifest itself until they matured
and, of course, I had bonded strongly with them, making it so hard to make
the right decision for them.
I felt like I had failed both these dogs, maybe it was me that caused their
unruly behavior, but reading of all your experiences tells me that there's
more to it than how they are treated. My heart goes out to anyone in this
predicament, but thanks to all you on the Drool, I now have more peace of
mind. You are a great bunch of "slave persons" and I thank you all for your
entries, sometimes the smallest piece of information can be very helpful.
Drool, (Preferably peanutbutter-flavored) to all who are grieving and to
Nigel, Elsa says, "Don't give up, you can do it."
Judy, Archie and Elsa in Fresno</HTML>