[Dailydrool] (no subject)

Pamela McQuade bassetizedslave at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 29 05:46:20 PDT 2011

While we were waiting  at the vet's to pick up our new foster, Dexter, I read part of a very interesting article in NATURAL DOG magazine, which included information on a new holistic method of treating bad backs and other problems.

This is a treatment called prolotherapy--it does not require invasive surgery, but treats with injections of destrose or vitamin B12 and lidocaine (for pain). It has been used for intevertebral disc disease, arthritis, and neck or back pain, among other things. They reported that it had a 90 percent success rate.

It's not a forever kind of treatment. You have to repeat it once a year, and I don't know what it costs, but it's supposed to be cheaper than surgery. It might be worth at least looking into, for those who cannot do the surgery.

To find a local vet who does this, go to www.ahvma.org and choose "find a holistic vet." In step 2, you will need to scroll down and click on "other."

All I know about it is what was in the article. I've never done this or even heard about it before; I've never even been to a holistic vet. But since so many hounds have had IVDD issues lately, I thought I'd mention it. When you have a dog with IVDD, you'll look into just about anything.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets