[Dailydrool] Renaming a basset

J Marchlewski jan3luski at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 06:33:39 PDT 2011

Renaming a basset requires a little patience and some treats.  I usually
call them by their original name and add the new name.  For instance when I
renamed my then foster from Flash to Dexter, I would call him
"Flash-Dexter."  I started dropping the "Flash" part and just used
"Dexter."  It took less than 10 days before he recognized Dexter as his
name.  Now if I call him "Flash" I get a strange look.

If we know our foster is going to be renamed, we ask the adoptive family for
their name prior to adoption.  That way we can start the process of calling
the basset by their new name.

 We're fostering a little houndette named Maggie.  We're calling her "Little
Maggie"  We were going to rename her since there's another Maggie already in
the rescue.  After thinking about it, we realize that her adoptive family
might want to rename her.  Why confuse the little darling with changing her
name from Maggie to Delaney to who knows (probably back to Maggie).

Jan
Lady (always been Lady) & Dexter (formerly Flash prior to entering the
basset relocation program - i.e., rescue)