[Dailydrool] Neutering Your Dog

melissa fenchel mibassetrescue at att.net
Wed Sep 14 12:51:01 PDT 2011

If any of you who are not show folks haven't gotten your dog neutered,
please listen up! We picked up "Buddy" from the shelter yesterday. He was
suffering horribly from testicular cancer.....not a pretty sight, as you
might imagine. He was dripping brown fluid from his penis and when he could
manage to "pee" he passed what appeared to be root beer, foam and all. What
we found out from the vet today is he was passing nothing but ....puss!! His
prostate is so badly enlarged that he can't really pass any urine!! I don't
know if we can even imagine how much he was suffering.

Today he is having his cancerous testicles removed along with the entire
scrotal sac. This will help reduce the size of the prostate and eventually,
he will be fine. This type of cancer does typically stay localized.

So....if you've not had it done yet with your beloved pet(s) NOW would be a
good time to make that appointment. Buddy sure wishes someone would have
cared enough for him when he was 6 months old to have had that taken care of
 Poor sweet guy.

Buddy is also blind from cataracts, but none of these problems keep him from
being friendly and wagging that tail!!

Melissa

PS- This is the second dog we've taken in with testicular cancer....so it
appears to be a pretty common disease. Get Them Neutered!!

Michigan Basset Rescue
100% Recycled Basset Hounds
www.michiganbassetrescue.org
mibassetrescue at att.net