[Dailydrool] Poppy update

Julie Canny julie.a.canny at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 11:06:08 PDT 2011

Poppy completed the pill part of her chemo with no side effects whatsoever.
Unfortuneatly, it also didn't have any effect.  Her white cells were way up
so we put her on antibiotics.  She was also very enemic.  Within a day, she
was sleeping less and barking more.  She got a little tired now and then,
but was almost "normal".  The pressure in her eye, from the lymph node, is
better, but the Vet worries that they eye may have to come out.  We're
putting in all the drops and eye stuff to hopefully prevent that.  I had no
idea it would be such a challenge to put drops in!  Anyway she was dropped
off at the vet today for a single round of chemo.  They ran her bloodwork
again and the white cell count is much better, but the enemia is worse.  The
vet is waiting to hear from the experts at NC State so Poppy has free run in
the vets office, following her around (like she does to me).  Hubby will
pick her up and we may start over tomorrow.
I'm worried about the eye.  Given her health and prognosis, I'm just not
sure I want to put her through surgery to remove the eye.  I've never had a
dog go through that.  It's just so hard to figure out the right thing to do
for our girl now.  She's not in noticable pain.

I'm so relieved to see that Sister Daisy is on the mend.  I know we all feel
like we personally know all these dogs.