[Dailydrool] Peeing in the house

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 23 14:44:11 PDT 2011

We have a basset that occasionally pees in the house. (We suspect, actually, that he is a bit demented due to medical problems, which is not the same as your two, but some of your concerns I can address).

We wash the floors and carpets using a Bissell Pro-heat home floor washer with the pet odor remover shampoo plus KOE. (Kennel Odor Eliminator). KOE is a product I learned about on the Drool and it's great. We order it on-line through Amazon since no one stocks it where we live. A little goes a long way. One of our former neighbors had a very old, incontinent dog which has since passed away, but she also used the KOE in her washing machine with laundry detergent when doing wash and it was the only thing which got the smell out of the dog's bedding.

We also have greatly helped the problem at our house by having a doggie door that goes out to a fenced yard, which is open and accessible 24/7. The probably demented dog goes out about every two to three hours during daylight hours. He is afraid of the dark, however, so I go out with him twice during the night (talk about slave training). We have considered putting doggie diapers on him at night, but somehow I can't bring myself to do it since I know it's a medical thing and imagine he'd be happier going outside than sleeping in a wet diaper (don't know if I'm anthropomorphizing or not).

The other thing that helps is constantly giving refresher courses on housetraining to the dim dog. A biscuit for peeing outside. Yay. Good dog. It may actually be that I am the dim dog and he is a very clever and accomplished slave trainer. Val