[Dailydrool] If Your Dog is Lost

Marie28443 at aol.com Marie28443 at aol.com
Sun Sep 25 03:06:03 PDT 2011

A few days ago, a friend's Beagle snuck out of  her yard.  Since we're in a
small town, she was able to get the word out  quickly that her dog was
missing and she notified the local shelter.

Yesterday, she called the shelter and spoke with a lady who said that  they
had a black and red dog that might be either a Beagle or Basset and was
wearing a collar with a bell on it.  Since my friend's Beagle was  definitely
not red and black and didn't have a bell on its collar, she told the  lady
at the shelter that she'd call in a few hours and made sure they had her
phone number in case they found her Beagle.

After she hung up the phone,  she started thinking about the bell and
remembered that the rabies tag on her  dog's collar was in the shape of a bell.
Out of curiosity, she went to the  shelter and her Beagle was in a cage.

If your dog is ever missing, please  visit local shelters daily and don't
rely on phone calls.  A lot of  people identify breeds and coloring
differently.  Not all shelters make an  effort to track down owners - a simple call
by the shelter to the vet's office  to track the rabies tag would have found
the dog's owner but no call was  made.  The Beagle had a chip but the
shelter didn't check for a chip  either.

Marie