[Dailydrool] Changing names

Sally King sally.king at nqe.com
Mon Sep 5 07:33:14 PDT 2011

When we adopted Rolph he had another name. It was a name which my family felt unable to live with, so keeping it was not an option.
We discussed it in the car on the way home and used his new name from that moment on. Rolph responded happily to it and never seemed to miss his first name. As his life up until then had been pretty miserable, perhaps he was happy to leave that name in his past. He was 2 years old.

Six months later we adopted a little girl called Blossom. She was three-and-a-half and had not had any real trauma in her past. We decided she was too old to change her name.

We took her home and as she sniffed her new queendom, I found every time I went to call her, or talk about her, her name stuck in my throat and I found another name struggling to get out. It was a name I would never have thought to choose - it would never have even made it on to the list.
Within half an hour, my youngest daughter went to call Blossom, but instead, the name "Clara" came out. It was the same name I had been struggling not to use.

The little houndette responded immediately and happily to that name and has NEVER answered to the name Blossom - we've tried.
We believe she chose her own name and I cannot imagine her having any other form of address - except , perhaps, Your Majesty.

Sally with Pw Rolph OEBE and Clara, UK