[Dailydrool] Stuart's new trick

Pamela McQuade bassetizedslave at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 13 05:26:52 PDT 2011

This trick may be new to Stuart, but it is a very old basset trick--and one that works every time, well, at least the first time!

Solution? Get Stuart a martingale collar. CBHR sells them as combo collars. I did a search to find them in CBHR's Low Rider Emporium.

http://www.cbhr.com/cbhrshop/index.php?sid=aq320wlcm62t5f72357d00fl89tb6pq2&app=ccp0&ns=prodsearchp&ccp0--prodsearch--string=combo+collar

These are collars that are made of two pieces of webbing. The second piece is a loop that will tighten down around the dog's neck.

You see, the problem is that bassets have wider necks than heads. So regular collars will slip right over the head of a hound who wants to head in another direction. The martingale collar tightens around the neck and makes escape less possible. Not that a wily basset can't get free, but it's much less likely to do so.

Martingales are not painful, like choke collars, though they work on a similar principle. But you probably also need to be a bit careful in using them. Don't haul on your dog, but redirect it and then loosen up. And don't leave it on when your dog is in a crate!

In a perfect world, we would just be able to tell a basset where to go, but this world isn't perfect. Having a martingale collar is safer for you and your hound.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets