[Dailydrool] having a Basset in general

Jennifer Martin JMartin at wellscolibrary.org
Mon Apr 2 14:49:38 PDT 2012

Bugsey again.  Just thought that after yesterday's events I should clarify.  In order to raise a basset no matter what the age, you need patience, patience, patience, a sense of humor, a case of paper towels and a gallon of enzymatic cleaner.  We were all outside and mom was making dinner.  Browyn and I came to the door and dad let us in, so Beauford came in too.  There was just one small problem.  He had been pooping and some stuck to his hind end.  So he was scotching his butt all across the floor and leaving skid marks.  Mom was laughing.  Dad was screaming.  Dad made Beauford go back outside.  Mom said it would have been more efficient to wipe his butt.  Dad said NO WAY!  So, Beauford came back in and just repeat what you just read.  So, mom finally got the bowls ready and fed us and dad wiped up the poop and sprayed the floor and wiped again.  Did I mention that Dad was trying to eat a breakfast bar when all this happened?  So apparently nothing changes as we get older.

After mom read the scary tale of Snoopy she decided she better get some gas x.  None of us have ever needed gas x, but she keeps Benadryl in almost every room in the house.  She keeps capsules and liquid with a big syringe.  We all have allergies and apparently princesses are prone to thinking they are smarter than wasps and they try to eat them.  Then their faces swell really big and you have to shove liquid Benadryl down their throats with one hand while you call the vet with the other.  Then when you get to the vet they get epinephrine and steroids IV.  It is really scary and if you don't act fast enough they die!  Elwood got an egg for his birthday when he was on an elimination diet and he broke out in huge welts all over and we had to do the same thing.  Personally, I don't think that was a very good birthday present, but we aren't allowed to talk about it or mom will cry.  She was trying to be nice, not kill the Elwood.  For the record, he never got another egg in his life!  I am not allowed to have eggs either.  So, not only do you need gas x, you need to have Benadryl liquid on hand.  The liquid works much faster.  If you can find the melt strips, they are great too.  You have to give your dog the equivalent of 1 mg of Benadryl per pound of dog.  If your dog was given Benadryl 2 hours ago for routine allergies, do not count it.  Dose again because the dog is having a major reaction.  It may be the only way you make it to the vet with the dog still alive.

Bugsey, Beauford, Browyn and Jennifer the human