[Dailydrool] Pierre Sr has returned, but now he is a beagle (and no allergies)

jacquelynn chazey aerogator27 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 3 18:50:57 PDT 2012

I did not want this dog.  I did not want this dog.  I did not want any more dogs until the herd was thinned, but sometimes, a dog just happens.  A couple of months ago, I was approached by I woman I know casually as she is a cashier at a grocery store where I shop.  I always wear shirts with dogs on them (bassets of course), and we spoke of dogs often.  Her young daughter wanted a dog, and she asked my advice.  I said research the breed, rescue, and above all, don't get a puppy store dog.
Long story short, she got a puppy store dog, a beagle and from day one, he was not what she expected, but I have to say, she did do a marvelous job with him.  There were many days that she had had enough, but for the sake of her daughter's love of the beagle, she hung in there despite her own heath problems.  A couple of months ago, she approached me saying that now the issue was financial, and Bandit really did need to be rehomed.  She brought him to one potential adopter who had a cane corso and a pit bull, and he handled those dogs roughly, and the daughter freaked.  I told her DON"T let him get Bandit, I will look into things for you.  I tried, but none of the leads I had worked out for her, and she said she would try to hang on a little longer, so I thought Bandit would be safe at home.

Then, a couple of days ago, she spoke of the urgency to rehome him once again, and she thought she had to bring him to the shelter.  She was fearful that he would be euthanized since he still puppy nips, and the shelter told her that would be an issue.  He is only 19 months old.
I found out that I could probably arrange that should he go to the shelter, he could get pulled for an all breed last hope rescue.  I also said, I would foster him, but, not knowing how my herd would react, I approached this cautiously.  I arranged that Jr. go for a play date, and if jr. said it was OK, it would be OK.  Jr. also told me that if he said it was OK, it would be a full out adoption, no foster stuff.
I have never seen Pierre jr. meet and greet and play with another dog with less concern or fanfare as he did with Bandit, now named Oliver.  Oliver bounced all over him, slammed him, ran circles around him all the while Pierre jr. nonchalantly checked out the yard.  After a while and a lot of pokes and prods, Jr. began the games with Oliver, and they ran themselves silly.  Not a grrrrrr or snark between them.
I brought jr. home, did errands and went back for Oliver.  I took him to the nursing home to see Mom, and he did not like it, too new of an experience for an unsocialized dog.  Then brought him to Doggie U to meet his trainer (class on Friday), and he really liked that.  Cheeseburger on the way home, HE REALLY LIKED THAT, and then to meet the herd.
It was quite the bark fest, and Oliver is finally sleeping.  Jr. is beyond tired, and he is pretty psyched that Oliver is here.  Then, since I am having him evaluated at my vet tomorrow, I went to fill out the new dog card, and when I filled in the date of birth of the dog, I just couldn't believe it.  He was born on 9/5/10.  Pierre Sr. was born on 9/5/02, passed 10/16/09, jr. came 11/21/09, one month and 5 days after Sr's passing as it took me a month to decide to put in the application.  Oliver has a fluffy butt like both Pierre dogs.
Some times a dog is just meant to be.
Drool and Love to everyone,
Jackie and the herd