[Dailydrool] Pet Insurance

Jennifer Martin JMartin at wellscolibrary.org
Thu Apr 12 06:07:34 PDT 2012

I have Pets Best Insurance on Beauford, Bugsey, and Browyn.  It is a God send.  As most of you have figured out, both boys have wicked allergies and Bugsey's cause a lot of ear infections.  The insurance has been great in covering both boys.  They covered the allergy testing (2x in both boys because they developed their allergies so early we had to test again.  They do not cover prescription food, but come on folks.  We have to feed the dogs anyway.  Beauford also has hip dysplasia.  They have covered the x-rays.  They pay for his adequan shots and his tramadol.  He is totally intolerant of all NSAIDs, but they cover those and they paid for the complications he got from the NSAIDs.  They will not pay for his Dasuquin or Phycox.  When we had Elwood we had VPI and he ate carpet.  If we had not had the insurance, he would have died.  There is no way we could have paid the pre-insurance bill.  He required 3 surgeries and 11 days in vetspital.  We still have to pay a $50 deductible for each diagnosis code and then we pay 20%. I don't care the preventative care because where we live it just doesn't pay. My vet doesn't charge enough for shots, etc. They cover like $15 on heartworm and $15 for flea. What a joke. They will also cover $100 for a spay/neuter OR teeth cleaning. Gee, you don't need that done every year. I think I carry the midrange plan and it is just over $500 a year for the each boy because I file claims. If you insure them early, they will cover the other stuff when they get older. I will say that with VPI, I was paying $800 a year for Elwood, but I figured I owed them, since it cost them over $7000 to save my big, beautiful boy. He was 13 when I was paying that much and they were paying out for arthritis and upper respiratory infections every time I turned around that last year.
Jennifer, momslave to Beauford, Bugsey, and Browyn