[Dailydrool] Dog Whisperer

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 14:53:06 PDT 2012

I really have a lot of respect for Cesar Millan for what he's done for the
dog world. His methods are definitely not my cup of tea but that's me. We
actually did see a Dog Whisperer segment with a couple of bassets at one
time. However, in my humble opinion, the man does NOT know bassets. I don't
know about your hounds but mine sound like they're going to kill each other
when they play. The play growling and carrying on is completely different
than when one of them is actually trying to get into it with someone else.
Well, the family he was working with was concerned about the level of
aggression between their two bassets and, in one segment that they showed,
the bassets were genuinely just playing. Honestly, it was just the typical
loud play that every basset I've had here does. Now there was another
segment where one hound went after the other that looked pretty aggressive
to me but without knowing how long the hounds had been together along with
a whole bunch of other information that I would want to have, it could have
been something as simple as establishing pack order. Anyway, the man has
done some wonderful things for the dog world but I personally don't think
his methods are a good fit for most basset hounds.

I also wanted to caution those of us who give their dogs yogurt. At one
point I was buying a lite yogurt for the Houndettes to minimize the
calories for them. Someone on the list mentioned how toxic some of the
sugar substitutes are for dogs. Well, sure enough, the lite yogurt I was
buying was one of the ones that has a sugar substitute in it. Just make
sure you check out the ingredients on the lower calorie yogurt that you get
for your dogs.

Our foster houndette has been tasting quite a few new items since she has
been with us. She tolerates the banana that I share every morning with the
hounds and is developing a taste for yogurt but she has made it very clear
that she absolutely does not like the green beans that Jersey & Ginger get
in their meals and absolutely hates baby carrots. Everyone here loves their
carrots but she really doesn't like those! Sydney has learned how to get
the kitchen trash top open or off and is much happier with the "treats"
that she finds in the garbage than the low cal, healthy treats that I've
been trying to give her. Apparently she is a houndette with very discerning
taste!

The Houndettes are sending heart healing and get well drool to all in need.

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger
with foster girl Sydney