[Dailydrool] Einstein's e-collar

Menzie Campbell menziecampbell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 19:38:43 PDT 2012

ancy wrote: "..i need advice with the e collar......he is having
trouble walking with it on.......he wants to walk like a basset, with
his head down so he can sniff......but the edges get stuck in the
grass, can i trim the edge a bit...?  i did take it off and supervised
him while he ate, i need to protect his eye, but the collar extends
way past his nose."

Hi nancyl. I understand about those e-collars; poor bassets, they just
don't fit them.  Normally, I would recommend the inflatable collar,
which is jsut an inflatable ring around their neck, that keeps them
from being able to reach whatever it is they want to lick or scratch
on their body.  But I do understand that you want to protect him from
accidentally hitting hsi eye on anything while it's healing.  So I
would second the reccomendation for finding a padded, flexible
e-collar/cone.  Most Petco/Petsmart-type stores carry them; they're
much easier for the poor dog to maneuver around in.

Alternatively, you could cut a couple of inches off the end of that
e-collar, so that it only extends as far as the end of his nose.  He
still wouldn't be able to get through the dog door, but you could take
it off him several times a day while supervised, for potty and eating
purposes.

Good luck!

--
Menzie Campbell