[Dailydrool] Puppy..please remind me is this normal?

kristin.mielke at videotron.ca kristin.mielke at videotron.ca
Wed Aug 8 22:18:16 PDT 2012

Hubert is almost 6 months...he is a real charmer...he is also trouble with a capital T. First the good points..he walks with pride on his leash with a minimum of pulling, he is mostly potty trained, he loves his toys, has not destroyed any of the furniture although my baseboad has a few teeth marks, and he sleeps in his house (re cage) at night with minimum protest.
Here are the not so great parts...he is still nipping even though he has all his adult teeth, this is an attention grabbing and play tactic, he won't eat regularly the kibble could rot if I did not hand feed him and I have had to supplement with boiled eggs andsome wet food in order to get some weight on him. Last night I had to remove him three seperate times from the top of our dinning room table as he discovered he could push the chairs, then use them to catapult on to the top of the table.  But the biggest issue is Huberts' desire to eat nonedible objects.  His favorites include my panties, any paper products, soap, socks, and a wicker laundry basket.  Now I really would not care if he chewed these items..but he actually tries to swallow them.  I have litterly opened his jaws and pulled out panties when they were half way down his throat.  All laundry now must be locked in the bathroom for safty reasons. He ate the bar of soap..which thank god was organic, and I got back up with peroxide.
Can someone tell me if the nipping should have stopped by now, if Hubert will stop wanting to swallow objects?  If he will start to eat more on his own? I either cannot remember about the nipping from my first Basset or I managed to curb this behaviour much earlier.  Hubert is nothing like our first Basset..one would think a completely different breed.  Of coarse Hushy was not bred well and was sick allot of the time..but wow what a difference.  Hushy was always very calm and would never have lowered himself to eating laundry..Hubert is a cyclone of basset love.  Does puppy behaviour fortel adult characteristics or are these antics just puppy behavior.
I fear that I will never be able to leave Hubert in the house unattended if he continues trying to eat potencially dangerous goods.  Oh, and in case anyone thinks I have neglected to put things away..Hubert has learned how to open drawers and cupboards with ease.  I have had to buy the plastic childproof locks for the kitchen, and the bedroom, bathroom, dinning room.  We are a childless couple with a fully toddler, and basset proof home.  I guess my question is,,,will he outgrow this stage, or will he be a proud member or the OEBE.   Oh and he drools,,and he can already fling it so we send drool to anyone in need..thick frothy sticky white drool with a cement like bond.
Kris (Having a glass of wine whatching Hubert sleep)
Hubert (Me love it here,,me send drool to all me friends)