[Dailydrool] Breeders and Rescues

Terry amzany1 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 9 10:29:57 PDT 2012

I feel that any breeder that supports Rescue is most likely a very responsible breeder who tries to improve the breed and weed out the traits that are unfavorable.  They make sure their kids go to great homes with a promise to have them returned to the breeder if the new home can no longer keep the Basset. I think that
Responsible Breeders and Rescue Groups both have a place and both serve
the dogs.  I would like to see it in the contracts that if the new
owners are not going to show their dogs they must have them spayed or
neutered.  I think we need to pass laws that records who turns pets into shelters and why.  (Especially when it's a litter of pups and kittens.)  Maybe a nation wide record keeping such as is done with fingerprints.  I  think that all pets should be micro-chipped to aid in this as well as to help them find their way home and to make it easier to ID who the stray and abused pets really belong to so legal action can be taken.  I think that all rescue groups and vets should be made to offer micro-chipping at cost so that more pets would have it done. Any pet that shows up in a shelter that is not micro-chipped should have the owners fined and additional fee when they come to claim their pet.  Of course the pet would be micro-chipped before they are return to the owner.

    Another note to those who do not know it yet.  As of August 1, 2012 in Louisiana it is against the law to sell or give pets away in parking lots, on the side of the road, or in front of stores.  I feel and pray that this will make it less worthwhile and profitable for Backyard Breeders.  Our last addition came from a box in front of Wall-Mart.  I always try to adopt but a week before Christmas their were 5 special breed puppies in a box.  It was cold they were 5 weeks old had no food, blankets or water.  I picked up the smallest one put him in my jacket and went into Wall-Mart and bought puppy items.  I wanted to bring them all home but didn't really want a divorce.  I feel like even though I couldn't help all the puppies I knew at least the one I took would have a good home with us forever.  Turned out when we got him spayed at 12 weeks that he is a Jack Russell.  We named him Levi but I think we should of named him Demon.  He adores
 his Basset brother Ollie who with the help of a very special Daily Drool Angel we were able to rescue from a Back Yard Breeder.  His angle paid for him to go to the Vet for the first time in his life. (He was 18 months old)  My husband and I agreed that he would be  a foster and we would keep him till he found a good home.  Think that was 2 years ago and he's still here.  He had been rubber banded, his ears are lacy in appearance from the other Bassets chewing on them and he had never been inside a house. He had open sores that I wasn't sure would heal but his DD Angel sent him a bottle of ointment that worked like magic.  He healed completely and got his fur back. Knowing he needed a home where he would be loved and never abused again especially since he has a naughty side he's still here.  Am I a foster failure?    I often look at my fur kids and think I would sure like to have one of their puppies but then I remember their are already a
 lot of pets in need of a home that I know I will fall in love with when they enter my home.   All my pets from purebred to Gods Special Blends are fixed as soon as they come to my home.