[Dailydrool] Little Old Dogs and eating what they want

Tim Mayer tcm541 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 09:43:31 PDT 2012

Beverly and others commented on feeding their older dogs whatever it takes
to keep them eating. It made me cry. Not because they're wrong, but because
they're so RIGHT! The last few months with Beethoven took me down that very
same path. And in the end, when he quit eating anything at all, no matter
what, only then was it time to let him take the path to the Rainbow Bridge.
But he didn't go alone - he was close on the heals of the sheltie he
raised, who had left just a few days before. So while it was a sad time for
me, and still brings tears when I think about it, I know just how right you
are.

Beethoven and Dreamer pretty much always ate whatever I gave them. Maggie
ate that, and everything else! So now that I'm working with a dog that
sometimes won't eat, and is always slow about it, and I'm
constantly dragging Maggie away from his bowl, I'm sure missing the old
"scarf pack". But Dexter's weight is good, his energy level is good, so I'm
not worried. (Neither is the vet.) After Maggie leaves - which will be much
too soon, since she's 14 this year - I'll try again to find kibble that
Dexter will dive into with the gusto that I'm used to seeing in my dogs. If
not, well, I'll just coax him along, keep him eating, and love him for who
he is.

And while Leia doesn't always eat everything I put down for her, she's
round enough that she doesn't need to :)

Tim n' Puppies
Maggie d'Earest,
Leia Round,
Dexter Doodles