[Dailydrool] Broken nail, lumps & bumps

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 15:07:16 PDT 2012

One of our BaRCSE foster hounds recently came to us with a cracked toenail
that had actually developed a bone infection. Poor girl was on several
different antibiotics before we found one that took care of the infection.
Of course, we have no idea how long that nail had been cracked before she
came to us and I know she certainly didn't get any care for it like you're
giving Molly, Laura. Just be on the lookout for prolonged limping that
seems to be longer than what you expect. I never would have thought that
such a bad infection could stem from what seemed like a relatively small
problem.

Jersey is our lumpy old gal. She developed several lumps on her feet very
close to going in between her toes a couple of years ago. I actually took
her in for a couple of lumps on other parts of her body that we were
worried about and was really surprised when our vet said that the ones on
her feet were a priority and absolutely had to be removed. He said that
they would eventually become bigger and more uncomfortable and, if they got
too big, he might have to amputate toes to remove them. Needless to say,
she had the lumps and bumps on her feet removed a few days later! So don't
be surprised if your vet says the bumps and lumps on Molly's feet need to
be taken care of very soon.

I've seen a couple of new folks join the Daily Drool recently. It's so
great to see more people come on board and I know we'll all be looking
forward to the stories that will be shared. With any luck, their one basset
will turn into two (or three or four rescued hounds!).

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger
with foster girl Sydney
(yes, they are all rescued basset hounds!)