[Dailydrool] Anesthesia is a b

AWoodrum awoodrum at clear.net
Sun Aug 26 10:33:22 PDT 2012

We are glad to hear that Gracie is finally eating now that the anesthesia
has worn off.  I've had a few anesthesia related scares with both dogs and
cats, it can be really frightening.  Right now I'm having flashbacks to the
evening after Dinah the kitty was spayed many, many years ago.  I brought
her home and she was totally, completely out of it, but the Vet said no
problems and she should perk up very soon.  Wrong.  She was so groggy that I
laid her on the floor so she wouldn't hurt herself, and she laid there with
her eyes closed and her tongue sticking out from between her teeth for
hours, making the most awful moans and shrieks you have ever heard.  After
several hours I went into the kitchen or bathroom and when I came back, she
had drug herself into another room.  Which was sort of an improvement,
except for the closed eyes, the sticking out tongue and the shrieks and
moans that were all still there.  So I keep watching her and she never stood
up and walked, she was dragging herself around the room with her front paws,
and after another couple of hours she ended up in the closet, still with
closed eyes and tongue hanging out but the sound effects were gone.  So here
we are in the closet, it is really late and I'm getting really scared
because there has been no improvement at all, in fact she seems worse.  I
decided to go get some water and try to get her to drink some, but no luck,
she was too out of it.  So I started dipping my finger in the water and
gently putting it on her mouth and tongue, and after a few minutes she
started licking the water off her face a little.  I did this again in a half
hour or so, and finally had to put her in a box so she couldn't travel too
far and go to bed.  When I got up in the morning, she was still groggy but
she was also awake and no longer acting crazy with her tongue hanging out,
so I went to work, and by evening she was okay.  That first night when we
were in the closet, I seriously thought she was going to die.  Awful, just
awful.

Anita Woodrum

awoodrum at clear.net