[Dailydrool] New Basset in the house

Swartz foxybear at cox.net
Tue Aug 28 09:40:04 PDT 2012

Janett, I agree with Paula about giving your girl a room of her own. My boyz have their own room which they sleep in and spend the day while the DH and I are away at work. Their room is technically the dinning room, but since hubby and I rarely sit down like civilized people to eat our dinner (prefer the heathen way of sitting on the couch & eating in front of the tv) It seemed logically to give this room over to the Bad A** Basset Brothers.  When they were pupsters we crate trained them, but when they got older, less destructive...which we learned the hard way after two walls were chewed through, and they pooped dry wall rocks for a few days and they refused to potty train we went to crate training...3 weeks later potty trained hounds.  But once they got through the destructive phase we let them have "their room" They have a huge (what I call a California King Basset) bed, 2 crates for private time (or when the bug man comes to spray). Their room is at the back of the house and has a sliding glass door out to the fenced in back yard. So during the day while in the comfort of their room they can continue to keep an eye on the yard, or sleep, or play. We have a gate that goes across the doorway between dinning room and kitchen.  Recently we have added another gate to the doorway between the kitchen and the rest of the house. So at bedtime confined to thier room, during the work day they have the addition of the kitchen, and of course when we are home they have the run of the house...supervised to keep them out of trouble, like trash cans or stuff that might be laying around...or puking or the occassional accident on a rug or carpet. Also we are blessed enough to have a neighbor (Auntie Val) who is retired, loves the boyz, and has volunteered to potty break them twice a day when we are at work. (to many critters and creepy crawlies around here for a dog door) If the weather is nice, and she is out working in her back yard and able to keep an eye and ear on them she will let the boyz out into their yard to play, sun, sniff, or just to hang out and get some fresh air. This set-up works very well for us.  Oh and congratulations on being adopted by your new basset girl...You do know that you don't own a basset, don't you?  You are owned by a basset.  Welcome to the world of being a basset slave!

Love and drool to all!
Michele Momma to the Bad A$$ Basset Brothers
Colt: "I like my room but would rather sleep with my momma"
Ruger who demands to be put to bed by 10:00pm.
Women are Angels...And when someone breaks their wings..They simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...They are flexible like that...