[Dailydrool] Alpha Sometimes..

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 15:09:38 PDT 2012

I think, based on my extremely limited experience, that bitches tend to be
alpha,especially when they are intact. I was told that it takes about 6
weeks for the hormones to leave the system, so even though Gracie has been
spayed, she is still essentially intact. And she smells intact, and will
for awhile.
When we had Zelda she was almost an equal with Cooper who was de facto
President of the dog constituency. He occasionally put her in her place,
but generally he let her have her way. When she had puppies, she was the
undisputed Head Honcho and woe betide any hound who so much looked at her
puppies--- until she decided they were big enough to fend for themselves,
which was about 4 weeks.
Until then, we had them securely fenced off from the boys (who were curious
but harmless.)
I would give the group some time to settle again, and for the hormones to
decline.
I also think pack hierarchy is actually more fluid than we think it is.

MomPerson to Nigel (I'm in charge) Conley (I'm in charge.) Llewis (May we
eat now?)

PS By the way: Both Nigel and Conley are intact, which I am sure is an
issue. It will be interesting with another intact male in the
house....albeit Notabasset.
If anyone wants to know why they are intact write me off list and I will be
happy to explain.