[Dailydrool] Alphas

Sue Pearson suesbassets at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 31 00:33:32 PDT 2012

I was amused by the comment that the Maine Coon cat was likely to be the next alpha. When John the cat was alive he was very much the alpha which was funny as he was a very small cat but the bassets obviously deferred to him and he could curl up where he liked.The situation at the moment is very fluid. Nell has been with us since Monday afternoon She was a bit shy around the cats at first but now seems to accept them and they sniff her so all is normal. Ginger  seems to have accepted her, there have been no arguments yet, this morning when I woke they were touching. They travel in the back of the car together with no problem. Ginger will probably be alpha but only because she was here first. They have both been second dogs so maybe that helps.Nell is very gentle and sweet. she is very underweight (I find this strange because she came from a home (recently divorced) where she was supposed to be much loved!) and her skin is in a terrible state with Malazzia. We saw the vet yesterday and she has started on Nizarol tablets for her skin (this worked wonders with Winnie ATB), Malaseb shampoo, antibiotics and eyedrops. She already looks better as her black back positively gleamed in the sun this morning and all the bare skin looks a bit cleaner. It will be a long job to get her fit and healthy but it is doable and I know it can be done as I only have to look at Ginger who last December weighed about what Nell does now and had just as little fur (demodetic mange in her case). Big test in a bit as I will go to Tesco and leave them together for the first time.
Sue in sunny but cold UK.Ginger and Nell.Sooty and Snowy the cats.