[Dailydrool] Doggie door

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Wed Aug 22 13:26:39 PDT 2012

We bought our Elsinore a Plexidoor Premium Pet Door from Moore Pet
Supply (www.moorepets.com, http://www.moorepet.com/Plexidor-Premium-
Pet-Doors-s/48.htm) about five years ago. We went with a large wall-
mounted door, which wasn't nearly this expensive when we bought it.
Goodness but the costs have gone up! Elsinore is 50 pounds, and young
Charlie is 42. Both go through the door easily. I think if they were
ten pounds heavier, though, I'd go with the extra-large for its width.

We had to have a handyman install it for us because neither Ken nor I
know what we're doing when it comes to stuff like this. Then that led
to removing a couple of false walls in the back entry where the dog
door is, putting up new drywall, repainting everything (including the
textured ceiling), and replacing the floor covering. One simple dog
door became an entire room remodel, which made that door even more
expensive.

But it'd needed doing, and we've all been very happy with the
results. Elsinore is thrilled to have a door she can go in and out of
whenever she wants. She's a dog who feels a need to patrol the
backyard at regular intervals throughout the day, and I feel a need
not to be popping up and down every half hour to accommodate her need.

Because the dog door opens out onto the back deck in full view of the
alley, which is a major pedestrian thoroughfare in our inner city
neighborhood, we asked the handyman to return to build a fake dog
house in front of the door. The dogs now have to enter the dog house
and make a sharp ninety-degree turn to the left in order to get into
the house. It's not a problem for them, but their longer-legged
friends have some difficulty with it. If we had a golden retriever,
for example, we'd have to reconfigure the dog house entrance a bit.

However, as it is right now, the fake dog house not only makes it
impossible for anyone to enter the house through the dog door (or
kick the dog door in), but it also acts as a draft barrier on windy,
winter days. The wind can't come whistling in through the dog door
because the dog house blocks it. The door itself seals pretty well.
The door comes with a sort of flimsy lock and a metal cover you can
screw over the opening on the inside.

The dogs took a while to get used to the saloon-style doors on this
particular model. In the beginning, they really didn't like the feel
of the doors closing in on their bodies, and especially their tails,
when they went through it. But after about three days of coaxing and
encouraging and rewarding with treats, they adjusted. I don't think
they even notice the feel now.

I'll be happy to send photos of Elsinore's door and the fake dog
house to anyone who'd like them.

Elizabeth