[Dailydrool] Area and throw rug problem

Connie Farrell krzylde at verizon.net
Sat Dec 1 04:36:48 PST 2012

About 2 weeks ago my Daisy decided to taste test a bathroom throw rug.....Just about 1/2” of the edge...I grabbed it from her and gave her my most severe “shame on you look”.  Well, the next morning she was walking in kind of a hunched position.  I thought she had done something to her back so I called the vet and we went to the Doc’s office right away.  They X-rayed her back but also got her stomach and intestines...She had 2 small wire looking objects in her intestines.  Needless to say, surgery was that afternoon.  The two wires were really the backing from the bathroom throw rug.  I started checking my throw rugs and door mats around the house.  In place of heavy thread for strength on the back of these rugs, it seems more and more manufacturers are using a very thin wire in place of thread.  Surgery was $1500.00 with a 6 inch incision since the wires were embedded in 2 different areas of her colon.  Just thought I would let you know about this as over half the carpet in my house is sewn with very thin wire...  Hope this maybe will head off another potential disaster.