[Dailydrool] Interceptor

Cheryl Medlin tmedlin at triad.rr.com
Wed Dec 5 04:37:11 PST 2012

Dear Droolers,

I haven't written lately,as it makes me miss my Buster, now 3 years at the rainbow bridge. But I visited my vet's office for Buddy's Interceptor and learned that it is no longer available
 after having purchased it 6 months earlier. I bought one pill of Iverhart Max and took the information sheet and got on the net to research it. I learned that Ivermectin can harm or even kill some breeds, mostly the herding breeds. Buddy is a small rescue and is a mixed breed of likely Jack Russell and hound. Since I am not sure, and one article I read said that sight hounds can be sensitive to the Ivermectin, I didn't give the pill to Buddy. I decided I am back to where I was with Buster post spinal surgery, when I began doing natural treatments to protect his immune system. He lived 3 1/2 years to the age of almost 13.

I never thought I could allow myself to get so in love with another dog after my Buster, but here I am with all the same concerns I had for him.  Buddy has to keep up his worm treatments because he is a little hunter and he puts everything that can't outrun him into his little mouth. He is an indoor dog except to let him out several times a day to potty and exlpore in the fenced back yard. We are in NC so there really isn't much a of a span of time when it is below 60 here.I had decided that as crazy as Buddy is, life wouldn't be really long for him so I might as well give him the Interceptor and let him enjoy life as long as it lasts. But faced with the possibility of his not being protected or getting a pill that could hurt him, gave me some short term anxiety. We went through all the worms and fleas and skin issues, not to mention, no small amount of expense and finally had a wonderful, cute little fella who finally felt secure with his new family; three years now.

Has anyone had to find a repalcement for Interceptor and what did you arrive at, as I know that Droolers take every care for their Basset children.

CHeryl M