[Dailydrool] Dremels

Marilyn Burns mj_burns at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 10 08:10:51 PST 2012

I've been using a dremel on my kid's nails for over 15 years now.  There
have been 3 bassets in our lives and 3 different reactions to the dremel.

Sammi Sue - after a couple of times - would literally present you her paw
for her paw-di-cure!  She loved it!  Amazing - since she had been quicked by
the best of them - including her first vet - and was the ultimate cranky
diva!

In the beginning - trying to do Bob Burns was like playing "Basset Twister"!
He would squirm and pull and fuss and roll.  My friend and I FINALLY got him
to behave to a point where it became quite easy - when I made the ultimate
mistake!  My friend was unavailable when Bob needed his nails done - so I
asked my husband Fred to hold/pet/control him while I did his nails.
 Ahhhh -- a new one to test!!!  Bob fussed and pulled a bit and Fred decided
that he was just too upset to continue!   Bob won that battle - and we were
back at square one!  It took my friend and I several weeks to get him to
cooperate again.  A word to the wise -- don't let them win!  Don't be mean -
but be firm!  As years went by, Bob Burns got so used to it that I could do
his nails without anyone even holding him!

Amanda Lynn gets her weekly paw-di-cure - lying on the bed with Fred giving
her belly rubs and holding the paw I'm working on.  She too was a bit fussy
in the beginning - but is no problem whatsoever now.

When I first decided to use a dremel, I was less than pleased about the
prospect of using those sandpaper barrels.  After some research, I found a
postively wonderful barrel-shaped diamond bit that fits perfectly in the
dremel.  The barrel comes in several sizes and grits - can be cleaned and
sterilized - and literally lasts for years!  Being a diamond bit - it also
helps dissipate the heat build up in the barrel - making it less likely to
give your baby a "hot foot".   I personally prefer the large barrel in a
coarse git.

The name of the company is Lasco Diamond Products - located in California -
and I can assure you I have NO connection whatsoever with the company.  They
sell primarily to nail salons and manicurists.  I have purchased from them
over the internet many times now -- without so much as a hiccup!  Their
prices are extremely good - the quality is excellent  - you do not have to
buy quantity - and their shipping and handling costs are nominal.  I would
highly recommend them to any of you who are presently or contemplating using
a dremel.

Chosing the dremel itself becomes a bit of a problem.  I have gone through
probably 5 cordless ones already!  Not because the unit breaks - but because
the battery starts to fail to hold a charge.  The joke -- you can buy a
complete new unit for about $2.00 more than a replacement battery!

But I recently found the answer to that problem.  Dremel makes a cordless
unit - marketed to clean golf balls - which takes 4 AA batteries - either
standard OR rechargeable - and you can get it online for less than $20.00!
I've had it for several months and it works great!

Sorry about the length of this but I hope it helps...

Marilyn - loving Mom to Amanda Lynn and Bridgemates Samantha Sue and Bob
Burns