[Dailydrool] Dremels

Michael Meckler meckler.12 at osu.edu
Tue Dec 11 07:42:30 PST 2012

I was interested to hear Marilyn Burns' post about the barrel-shaped
diamond bit that can be used on the Dremel, but I got a bit confused
looking up information on the Lasco Diamond Products website. So I'm
sending this out to the list as well as to Marilyn, in the hope that
she'll share more information with the list.

Do you use only one grit, or several? I currently use only the fine-
grit Dremel sanding drum, as I found it takes off the right amount of
nail (not too much too quickly), but I'm uncertain whether the fine
grit on a diamond bit would take off more nail or not.

I also wanted to let folks know that I find the rechargeable
batteries for the Minimite last about 1 1/2-2 years before they stop
holding a charge. Replacement batteries can be ordered online for
under $15.

I have one Basset, and I recharge the Dremel battery after every use.
I don't know how frequently you need to replace the 4 AA batteries in
the new Dremel model, but if the batteries can make it through 2
grooming sessions, just Dremeling one Basset every 2 weeks would mean
using more than 100 batteries a year. That sounds like it would be
more expensive, but perhaps not if you're using the rechargeable AA
batteries.

Thanks, Marilyn, for any additional information you can provide.