[Dailydrool] return of old Drooler

PC Hanes pchanes at ctwi.org
Tue Dec 11 20:19:17 PST 2012

After a hiatus of many years and many changes, I, an Old Drooler from
the long-ago days, have dropped back in to see the Drool still going
strong, with so many fine furpersons carrying on the traditions of Miss
Scarlett, Alexis, and others, including my Maggie Musch, Cyrus dirus,
Braune, Freckles, Rivkah Belle, Sarah Mindele, Precious and so many
others waiting for their mom at the Bridge.
Am I even allowed to post if I am currently without a single basset?
Floyd, our last rescue basset [from my shrink], crossed over last
summer.  When Freckles passed in 2010, then Binky in 2011, I made my
husband promise me a basset in 5 years.  I can't wait any longer.  The
Basset Jones is undeniable.
"Shopping" at the Dallas and Austin rescues shows me how many lovely
hounds need homes.  We live in a very rural area, 120 miles from either
city, and we would take them all if we could, but we got out of rescue
after 20-odd years due to age and financial restraints.  We still have
some of our other rescues, mostly 14-16 years old, and 2 Corgis we took
in last winter, 2 years old and very high energy.  They run a lot.
Probably, come the new year, we will seriously look for a rescue who can
share a bed with a few other dogs and a couple of cats, who will
appreciate personal door opening, even at 2 am when it is 19 degrees,
unlimited affection, tummy rubs, ear skritches - oh, how I miss those
long silky ears - and the best vet care, 50 miles away but worth it.
Food - the best.  Counter cruising frowned on, but if we mess up, well,
all is fair game.
I had 2 very special bassets, one our first rescue basset, from a street
corner in town - Shelley, and Daisy, a lady in need in another state, I
think TN, who had a Basset Rescue Relay to Shreveport, where we met her
and took her home, although everyone wanted to keep her. My girls were
beanbags - black and white with freckles, no brown anywhere, of stately
comportment and diva attitude.  They would not climb onto the bed, even
with a ramp. They had to be tow-trucked - someone (usually Mom) would
get behind, they would raise paws to the bed, and get a lift from
behind, all the work being done by the lifter.  Life is hard in our
household.
So, rescuers, basset lovers, if a beanbag should come your way, please
let me know.  We will adopt another basset, maybe 2 if one has a sister
or brother or boon companion who cannot be left behind, but a beanbag
would be most special.  Over the years, we rescued a lot of special
dogs, including a 17 year old whose family had taken him to the pound to
be euthanized, as he was "too old".  He had had a stroke, was deaf and
half blind, with disfiguring little lipomas all over.  An Ohio rescuer
saw him late on Friday and posted him on the weekend, hoping to save
him. On Monday morning she was there before the doors opened to take him
away, to  a seven person Basset Rescue Relay, with a few overnights, to
Texas.  Lazarus Long shared his life with us for two more years, always
asking to go outside, sleeping in a nest of pillows, whiling away the
hours in a sunbeam, until he crossed over in his own time.
When I finally reach the foot of the Bridge, we shall all rejoice,
crossing together to the 24/7 buffet, the Hat Shop, the Fancy Footwear
shop, and the All The Toys You Ever Dreamed Of Shop, to a sunny meadow
where it only rains when you are ready to go inside and the house as big
as their hearts, where we will all be together once more.
Thank you, Droolers, for still being here.  The good things last because
of people like you.
PC Hanes
No bassets, but plenty of love to go around
To all who have lost a loved one, some simulated slobber until we can
send the real thing