[Dailydrool] IBS and IBD: irritable bowel disease in dogs (some graphic detail)

Valerie vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 16 00:35:48 PST 2012

I read today that ulcerative colitis is in the rule-out list for poor Maggie Waggs' distress. coincidentally I read an article today on IBD in Costco Connection of all places. thirdly, a few people have written to me privately over the past couple of years about IBD, knowing that our dear demanding Bo, Commander in Chief of the Pacific Basset Feet suffers from ulcerative colitis. So I thought I'd write a brief summary of the article and our experiences in case this was helpful to any Droolers. first, let me apologize for odd capitalizations and punctuation--I am using my husband's laptop and for the life of me I can't get it to cooperate.

First, there are two different conditions that get confused (because of similar initials): IBS and IBD. IBS stands for irritable bowel Syndrome; IBD stands for Irritable bowel Disease.

In the "syndrome" condition, the digestive system gets inflamed,causing diarrhea (sometimes bloody), and may flare up with stress, diet, and allergies. Howver, the digestive system itself isn't damaged, and treatments generally include diet changes and anti- diarrheal drugs for the most part. hisCondition is sometimes called "colitis" (but not ulcerative colitis).

IBD, or the "disease" variant, refers to one of two conditions--Crohn's Disease (anywhere in the digestive tract) or Ulcerative Colitis (in the large intestine). In these conditions, the tissues of the intestines go beyond irritation to ulceration and the result is chronic disease. bloody diarrhea, urgency, abdominal cramping, anemia, and weight loss are common symptoms. IBD is thought to have a genetic basis. treatment (chronic) with anti-inflammatories and antibiotics are standard. IBD seems less diet related than IBS.

Bo's symptoms, when he first became ill, were frequent unpredictable diarrhea with blood, large weight loss, constant 'straining' with each poop episode to the point he suffered three intestinal hernias requiring repair before the condition was brought under control, screaming with pain when defecating, and occasional vomiting and dehydration. Now, four years post diagnosis, he is doing pretty well, all things considered. Bo takes Metronidazole (an antibiotic), an over the counter stool softener, and Budesonide (an anti-inflammatory steroid specifically targeted for Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis that dissolves in the intestines, rather than the stomach, like Prednisone, and thereby avoids some of the systemic side effects of Prednisone). Budesonide is used mostly with people, so it needs to be compounded at a Lower dose for dogs (  1 mg. rather than 3 mg. When Bo has had th occasional flare-up, the dose of both the antibiotic and the antiinflammatory have been raised for a week which has worked. we use Wedgewood Pharmacy in New Jersey for the Budesonide, which has been wy less expensive than compounding this medication locally. We are very grateful to our vet, who consulted with his vet school in Colorado frequently to get Bo's condition stabilized. Bo eats a diet of puréed boiled chicken breasts mixed with I/D dog kibble, three meals a day. He is a pretty happy camper these days, in no discernible distress, though still ever so demanding (his nature).

We deal with a couple of secondary problems to the IBD. Bo has a tendency to rectal prolapse (turning inside out) when he poops so I keep a close watch on him when he is out and make sure to turn him back inside in if I see this start to happen. and he has another hernia which causes a bulge and needs pressing at appropriate times ( the vet is reluctant to try a third surgery in this area unless an emergency). You should see the looks I get when 'assisting' Bo --Marlene, I'm your sister, girl.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful and not too graphic. Bo is truly a love (though he drives me nuts). There is a light at the end of the tunnel with IBD and it isn't a train. Anyone wanting to talk more, e-mail me. semper fido, Val, Harley, and Bo (Mom, this is so embarrassing--I will Have you thrown in the brig!!)