[Dailydrool] Bench show addendum

Riche Churchill buglr at blomand.net
Tue Dec 18 10:27:19 PST 2012

Neglected to point out that unbenched shows are a boon and convenience
to exhibitors but a great loss to spectators, primarily because the
exhibitors (especially those with short-haired dogs who do not require
much ring prep) tend to arrive just before show time and leave almost
immediately afterward unless one dog needs to remain for progression to
another ring (winners or BOB class, etc.). But even that may not take
long, and if professional handlers are involved (which was rarely the
case in the 40's and 50's) most of their "string" not needed further are
bundled back into RV and out of sight. Even if not, pros rarely have
time for spectators as they often are showing more than one breed and
are extremely busy.

I certainly was guilty of not hanging around long. There were times,
after driving 8 hours TO the show that I arrived 10 minutes before
ring-time and barely made it. Since an 8-hour drive home awaited, there
wasn't much interest in tarrying afterward.

Be all that as it may, unbenched shows are not the reason for the
current decline in showing. Reasons are many, and include the economy,
cyber world, and the explosion of the dog population in general --
especially the unwanted and discarded. There were "pounds" in 1940 and
1950, but there were almost no rescues, and little if any thought that
there was a need or ever would be.

We were far more concerned back then with such things as distemper (no
vaccines) and fleas (no preventives). Spaying and neutering were almost
unheard of and I can't remember a single breeder of any type who
required it for pet puppies sold. When I was a columnist for Kennel
Review in the early 60's, I sounded the alarm about selling intact pet
puppies, but never knew if it was heeded. Apparently not.

Riche