[Dailydrool] Dangerous Bassets

Chris Bly jbly1 at kc.rr.com
Fri Dec 28 18:58:52 PST 2012

A lot of times we get dangerous vicious Bassets in rescue. People will make up a sad story about a Basset being a stray or they are losing their home so we take in the dog believing whatever the relinquisher says, (since we always tell the whole truth about a dog we put up for adoption we just assume people will be honest with us) and once the basset feels secure in our home they resort to their normal behavior and we realize we have taken in a dog with behavior problems. Some have been helped through therapy but most just have something wronginside their brain... wires crossed. We keep them in rescue we NEVER put these dogs up for adoption I would never pass off a dangerous animal to another home. Just as Angelika said we alter our lives to keep bad things from happening. Most of these dogs stay with us until they pass naturally but a few of the worse have to be freed of their demons. Some just cannot be saved.
I knew a lady who kept a dog who would change demeanor in the blink of an eye but she said she had the dog under control and knew when to stay away from her but after seven years with the family the dog snapped and tore off part of my friends lips and cheek. So I always warn people if you have a dog who bites please be very careful sometimes they are just not right they have wires crossed in their brain and cannot be helped.