[Dailydrool] Babies and Bassets

Jules H jules56pt at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 17:47:03 PST 2012

Many years ago, we had two bassets who were our "children".  They were the
pampered princesses at our house.  And then we had Josh.  He was our first
human child.  Our basset girls didn't bat an eye at him.  I don't know if
they were extra calm or what but they accepted him without problems.  They
were really sweet girls that we had from babyhood.  Two years later they
wecomed Daniel the same way.  My boys thought the bassets were great toys.
They tried to ride them and used them for pillows too.  The girls would
play until they got tired of playing and then would go off to a bedroom and
hide.  My children have never lived in a pet free house here.

We never treated the dogs like second class citizens.  They were our first
babies and we never changed that.  They slept with us and cleaned up under
the high chair and were a part of everything we did.  They were very sweet
girls and the boys loved them always.  I still miss them.  My boys are
grown now and there is one more too.  He doesn't remember those first girls
because he was so little when they left.  He loves the girls we have now
but his special one was Sherlock.  Sherlock bit Nic on the face when he was
3.  Nic decided to hug him while he was asleep.  He learned the hard way
not to mess with a sleeping dog.  Did we blame Sherlock?  No, he just
reacted and caught his tooth in Nic's face.  Sherlock was such a wuss for a
boy dog.  We miss him too.

I think babies and dogs can do very well if everyone is low key and
watchful.  I would not leave them alone when the baby is tiny.  We made
that mistake with my parents-in-laws' dachsund and she bit Josh on the
stomach.  I didn't even leave the room.  I laid him on a blanket and Liza
ran over there and bit him.  That dog was possessed.

Babies and bassets are a great combination if you really know your dogs.
Best wishes.

Julie with the menagerie