[Dailydrool] gus waking up

sfwill at aol.com sfwill at aol.com
Mon Feb 13 12:29:11 PST 2012

gus has started something that really scares me.  we are used to cuddling up at night on the couch to watch tv and he also sleeps on top of the bedclothes in bed with me at night.  recently, he has awokened (not by me waking him) and snaps at me.  sometimes i know when it's going to happen because while he is still alseep, i hear a low, slow growl.  and then he'll spring up and bark and snap.  it used to happen maybe once every 4-5 months, but now it's much, much more often.  the other morning, it was around 6, i got out of bed, went into the bathroom, came back, said his name softly but stayed out of the bed.  he sprung up, looked at me and bit me on the breast.  i had a sweatshirt and robe on, so it did not break skin or anything, but that really scared me.  and then 2 nights ago, we were on the couch, i heard the low growl, pulled the blanket up to shield myself, he sprung up, looked over the blanket and me and ferociously barked while looking straght at me.
i am afraid of him now and last night, i barricaded myself on the couch to watch the grammys, but made certain he could not get up on the couch.  then when i went to bed, i closed my door so he couldn't come in.  both occasions, he whimpers and cries because he's not used to not being right next to me, but i reallly am afraid of him when he's sleeping near me.
it is breaking my heart in two; i'm weeping now just typing this.  does anyone have any ideas where this is coming from?  my only thought is that he is losing his sight and doesn't know it's me when he wakes up suddenly?  please help...........
susan, loving slave to gus