[Dailydrool] Basset puppies & colors

Mucci, Annette Annette.Mucci at us.hjheinz.com
Thu Feb 16 12:11:39 PST 2012

For me, I thought my bassets were the easiest puppies for crate
training, house breaking, and just over all easy raising for the first
year.

This is in comparision of raising two boxer puppies prior to bassets.

Sophie, Schroeder, and now Lucy have not been perfect puppies, but they
were not at all like Maya and Cassie, my boxers who are now ATB.

The boxers, in true breed standard, were super high energy, crazy,
funny, and destructive when they didn't get enough exercise, but I knew
that going in.  In fact, when we got Cassie, they were calling her "Wild
Woman" while she was still with the litter.  She was "Wild Woman" until
the day she died.  Maya was super high energy.  We would run her for an
hour, she would nap for 1/2 hour and be ready to go full speed again,
and that was just my Maya.  lol

Then when we got Schroeder and he would automatically go in his crate to
sleep, eat, everything.  We were like OMG!  Yahoo!  He also didn't cry
much at night when we first got him.  I remember waking up in the middle
of the night just to check on him and he would be sound asleep and sleep
the whole night.  The only thing he did was get into the mulch
constantly.  He was a very pleasant and happy go lucky puppy.  He still
is to this day.

Sophie is Tri Color, Schroeder is Dominant Red and Lucy is the Recessive
Red and white.  (HEY RICHE - Did I get that right?!  loved the article
in The Bugler about color traits BTW!!!)

I honestly don't think that color drives their personality, but that is
only my opinion.

Sophie was a howler at night in her crate, but other than that, I don't
remember her having any really bad puppy habits.  She is a bit defiant
though. I tell her one thing, she turns opposite direction and if she
could say screw you mom, I think she would.

Lucy - oh my Lucy.  She has been the test of the basset puppy.  Hahah.
I love her to pieces but she is a STINKER!!!
She is the first chewer I've had since Maya (boxer -ATB) was a puppy.
Corners of all my rugs have a "Lucy" mark.
No rubber toy is safe.  And actually as a pup, she had the most health
problems out of 5 puppies that I've raised over the years.
Lucy is now the reason why I have everyone on every preventative
medicine.

You know what I do think makes a difference with puppies tho....seasons,
weather, climate.  I have found that raising a puppy in the dead of
winter is a hell of a lot harder than late spring or summer.  Especially
with housebreaking.  Lets face it.  I don't want to go out in the cold
and neither do they - even with doggie sweaters.

These are just my opinions and what I've experienced so far.

Love and drool to all,
Annette, Schroeder, Sophie, Lucy, Apollo & Cash

This communication is intended for the use of the addressee
only and may contain information that is privileged or
confidential. If you are not the addressee, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or use of this
communication is prohibited. If you received this
communication in error, please destroy it, all copies and any
attachments and notify the sender as soon as possible. Any
comments, statements or opinions expressed in this
communication do not necessarily reflect those of H.J. Heinz
Company, its subsidiaries and affiliates.