[Dailydrool] Basset colors

Karen Williams bazadaba at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 16 21:20:02 PST 2012

I have had the privilege of being owned by 6 bassets in my life so far.  4 have been the traditional tri-color, 1 red & white and 1 blue.  Yep, I have a blue one too.  I must say that my tri-color ones, were generally all even tempered, loveable lumps of basset hounds.  My red & white was, as someone mentioned earlier, just like you imagine a red headed girl.  Funny that we named her Bailey and she lived up to her name.  She was by far the most temperamental of all my bassets.  She was living proof that you let sleeping dogs lie.  You never wanted to surprise her because she would get so startled and let you know that she was not the least bit happy about it.

My blue, well, he is just a genetic mess.  Elwood is my blue boy and he lives up to his name sake Elwood Blues by barking out some of the most soulful blues you could imagine. (non stop actually till he gets what he wants).  He has golden eyes, an extra floating rib on each side and is very high strung.  So far no skin issues, but the vet says it's probably just a matter of time.

All but one of mine were rescues and we never thought about the color they were, but is funny looking back on their personalities in relation to their color.  Maybe there is something to it.

Karen and Millie (tri-color), Elwood (blue) & Beatrix (the Plott hound)
Please don't breed or buy while in shelters they die