[Dailydrool] Very nervous Dog

James Emma dariaemma at verizon.net
Wed Feb 22 16:07:36 PST 2012

I am asking for opinions and help with Tony.  He had to get his nails trimmed this afternoon at the vet's.  I had to coax him into the building with treats and then he turned around and leaned his head against the door to leave.  When the tech came to get him, he howled and then tried to take a chunk out of the tech's pants.  Not once or twice, but 3 times.  I don't know what to do.  I have pills but the last time I gave him a different pill, it turned UGLY.  He almost bit the vet.  So, I would like help.  What do you do with your nervous hound or houndette?  Any homeopathic remedies, etc?  I would like to get him at least in the door and into the exam room without a major blood shed.
This also brings up the question of boarding.  If he won't walk in the vet's without a major anxiety attack, how do I leave him at a boarding kennel for a few days?  I'll just stay home if really necessary.  I did that with our 1st basset.  He hated everyone except immediate family.  You can reply privately if you want.  Thanks.

Daria and Tony, I HATE the Vets's office.