[Dailydrool] allergies, stinky hounds, hound coats, fearful (a bit long)

mr knoll rescuebassetmolly at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 22 21:32:53 PST 2012

Hi All
My Chance had allergies, before I had had him a week (he was 8 weeks old). First time on real food.
He started having problems swallowing. Off to the vet we went. We found out that he was allergic to beef,
As time went on, the list grew. wheat, corn, chicken. grass, birch pollen and the list continued. after [millions]
of tests etc. med and so on. we finally found a level ground with him. I had to talk to neighbors on both sides of the
backyard fence. "Do not feed the Dog, you could Kill him". He spent a lot of time on Prednisone and a couple of other drugs.
Which leads me to the coat of the dog/s.
I believe that the drugs affected his coat. he ended up with a super thick, fluffy, and quite often, stinky coat. I bathed him once a week
every other week I used Aveeno, to soothe the savaged beast. He would actually lay in the tub. I used a cooler water. Summer time,
Destin, (diaper rash stuff) was applied to his underparts, the he was powdered. It helped keep the allergy rash down.
Seven and Half years after he came into our lives, an odd series of events, brought his littermate, Rex into our hearts. Now he spent
most of his life as an outside dog. He had a beautiful coat. shiny soft. Same litter, different lives. Rex, it was discovered had epilepsy and spent the
next three years on Phenobarbital;.
Molly Bob, my current girl has fears, the vet is and was one. However, now she is much better than she used to be. She peed from the time her feet hit the ground. She shook and trembled so much I had to fight back the tears. I had to be cool calm and collected for her. I started, going to the vet several times
a week just to walk in the door,  say hi, give Molly Bob praise, and leave, staying longer as time went by, treating on occasion. when she quit peeing as we got out of the car, then and only then did we interact with the staff on these jsut stopping by times. Then there were the times that she had to go to the vet. These were the times that I carried a hand held massager and the instant we sat down, I started using it and or the Tellington touch to help calm and sooth her. She Is much better today. this did not happen over night nor over jsut a few months.
Good luck,
Drools to those that need it.
Martha and Molly Bob