[Dailydrool] How to stop excited barking?

Rebecca Stanton stumpypaws at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 23 09:54:20 PST 2012

Morse has always been a very quiet basset and up until a few months ago hardly uttered an arooo. However, in the last few months he has started visiting a really lovely elderly couple daily for a treat, and the husband thought it would be amusing to ask Morse to say "please" by woofing for his treat. I know now that I should've realised this was a bad idea, but didn't realise until it was too late that it was! Now Morse says "please" all the time! We go into our pub daily where the landlord gives out gravy bones to all passing dogs, and Morse has taken to barking *very* loudly for these, and even when they are given, insists on more by barking and barking. Landlord and locals are (thankfully) amused and tolerant, but does anyone have any idea how I can stop this a little? Attempts to stop him by firmly saying *no* and giving a little tug on his collar have absolutely no effect. Help!
Becky (needing earplugs) Morse ("only being polite") and Pumbaa ATB (disbelieving)