[Dailydrool] Morse's ahrooing 'please' for treats

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 23 17:51:52 PST 2012

Lol. I truly believe that Morse and Bo are cut from the same cloth. Bo (whom I generally consider thick as a brick, but as stubborn and dictatorial a creature as ever graced the earth) has discovered that if he goes out in our yard and then starts bellowing, one ahroo at a time separated by perhaps a minute, that I will come running and figure out what it is that he wants. Originally I assumed that he had gotten "lost" under our house (which may or may not have been true) and needing a guide to figure out the way back to the dog ramp and up to the doggie door. Today, however, after the third time that I had gone out to the yard and led Bo up the ramp, I realized that he was chiding me for being late with his breakfast and wanted to get my attention. A little organic? Maybe. Stupid? Absolutely not.

Harley barks excitedly when I come in the door (a rare occasion since I take the hounds everywhere with me--another slave trained habit). My husband can't stand this. So my husband gives whatever dog is NOT barking a biscuit when he enters or when I come home. This technique has totally trained Bo. Harley--not yet--though Harley is quiet when my husband comes in but still gives me a piece of his mind. I will never be a dog trainer. But the lesson is, reward Morse when he is NOT barking and ignore him when he is........right.......