[Dailydrool] Another idea for Morse

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 24 12:40:55 PST 2012

After I last posted, I realized that a more practical solution for bringing Morse's ahrooing for a treat behavior may be to attach that behavior to a verbal command. Meaning, have the elderly couple who trained Morse to bark for treats try a new variation. Have them give Morse a treat ONLY when they say "SPEAK!" before dispensing the treat. When Morse barks without having been told to speak--no treat. I imagine Morse will pick this up quickly as he is a fast study when food is involved. To keep up the behavior, let the pubmaster know not to give Morse a treat if he barks--just if he doesn't bark OR the pubmaster says "SPEAK!" when Morse waddles in--then never unless the command is given or Morse is quiet. This should work.

In my younger days, I once trained a dog to bark at me when I was on the phone. Not sure how it started--he must have started barking, and I gave him a treat to shut him up. Oops., More barking for another treat. Until he was the phone monster. There were pros and cons to this development. It did curtail my teenage daughter's length of time on the phone. lol. (This was before cellphones).

Ah the power of a treat.