[Dailydrool] vets

Jennifer Martin JMartin at wellscolibrary.org
Sat Feb 25 03:50:31 PST 2012

We are SO lucky. All my dogs past and present have LOVED going to the vet. It is a small one veet practice and they think they are the official door greeters.  I am sure this hacks off the people with dogs that hate going to the vet. I do keep them on leashes and properly fitting martingale collars. Part of the problem is when we go out of town we also board with the vet. They spoil the dogs rotten. I will call to see how things are going and they are in the office or assisting in surgery! Or, we don't have anyone coming for a half hour so they are running around. They think they own the place.

When we are gone the vet personally will check whichever allergy prone dog I have that gets ear infections every day. He will do experiments to see which cleaner works best, which medicine they respond to. He only charges me for medicine. In exchange, I bring in the dogs when he gets new equipment so he can practice. My dogs will just sit on the table and look at him with adoring eyes while learns to take blood pressure with the latest equipment.  It is also nice when you and your vet know each other and he knows your capabilities.  I will never forget the day Bubbles ATB hematoma on the tip of her tail exploded. We had been watching it for months hoping it would just go down on its own.  I called him and told him and asked what I needed to do. He said to figure out a way to bandage it and pad it and come get antibiotics. I asked if he wanted me to bring her in and have him bandage the tail. He said with all my experience in the hog barn I could figure something out as well as he could and he had no clue what he was really doing. Why should I pay for a bandage job that might not last when I was fully capable of figuring it out on my own and saving money. Of course he also makes me do the anals myself unless I tell him something is really wrong. Of course I used to work in a hog barn. I am not about to pay someone to do anals. I am too cheap. Having a great vet relationship is priceless.

Jennifer, momslave to Beauford (they trust me in surgery, but not Bugsey), and Bugsey (I am a better door greeter)