[Dailydrool] what do you think? Pepsi Challenge funds

Pat Wood patshoundies at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 26 09:03:52 PST 2012

Reading the caveat in the Pepsi Challenge I believe, if it is actually stated this way, then this does NOT apply to utilizing local resources for vet medical treatment of our hounds.  I draft legal language in documents and it appears to me that the way this is written:  applications "involve any type of MEDICAL RESEARCH, PROCEDURE OR ALTERNATE MEDICAL TREATMENTS OR THERAPIES FOR EITHER HUMANS OR ANIMALS"  is about any procedure done as to research, or alternative or experimental treatments. This language, as stated, does not limit  "standard" medical procedures.  Perhaps I'm reading it differently than what the Pepsi Challenge envisioned, but I would  suggest that Pepsi Challenge people be contacted and be asked for a definitive  determination on the limitations of the Challenge rules.   Surely taking hounds off the street, i.e. rescue, and providing medical treatments to make them whole again so that they may be adopted out in the community can be considered a community based option which helps the community on many fronts: keeps communities from having to spend monies to euthanize dogs picked up by the county, helps veterinarians be paid especially since so many of our vets already take care of rescue hounds at reduced or no costs, as well as the people in the community who benefit from having a family pet in the home.... Frankly, in Guardianship law in Florida, there is wording similar to this regarding those under guardianship as to medical treatment...really! we have to ask the Court to approve any medical research, procedures or alternative medical treatments for our Wards and those are few and far between.  things like sterilization, research (one of my wards was approved for a research study on one of the dementia drugs conducted by her psychiatrist.  It was amazing how this worked for her! and the Court felt it was a reasonable option for her. This worked amazingly for this lady, slowed down her dementia decline.  No drug out there now "cures" dementia, but this was a real breakthrough drug which is now available. It does not work for some people with dementia, but it sure worked for my Ward!  anyway couldn't hurt to just ASK for an opinion on this issue with the Pepsi Challenge folks Probably best to start by having one of the groups who have won to ask Pepsi, then if they say no vet help, then do a campaign to educate them and ask for  it.  Pat WoodHannah Banana - da mum she lookie at every one of them legal words all the time, the small print, commas, and all kindsa legal wordiesBuddy and Becky - dere no law says we can't have treats right?