[Dailydrool] Tony in FL

James Emma dariaemma at verizon.net
Sun Feb 26 14:33:03 PST 2012

When we picked up Tony from Basset Rescue of FL in April, he hasn't really exhibited any of the usual basset-y behaviors. Thievery, slinky counter cruising, etc.  We thought he was old and maybe hadn't been raised inside or he was crated all the time and so on.  All he wanted was food and bed in that order.  HE carries on an all consuming love affair with his food dish and his bed. UNTIL a few days ago.  I have had a hard time with allergies so the other night all I wanted for supper was a grilled cheese and soup.  I forgot my water glass in the kitchen so left the table with the chair pulled out and food within easy reach of basset noses.  Well. I thought I was safe because he NEVER did those things like steal food from the table.  No sooner did I turn the corner than he was paws up and on the chair.  I remembered the noise of paws on chairs and ran to the table to find Tony millimeters away from said sandwich.  I said "TONY, what are you doing?" and he was so guilty looking.  He slinked and wiggled his way to me and all I did was laugh.  Today for the first time, he licked my arm a few times. Then, another first, he pawed at me to keep rubbing and petting him.  I am so proud!!! LOL!!!  He does have basset-y behavior.

Drool to all in need,
daria and tony