[Dailydrool] Tony in FL

Pamela McQuade bassetizedslave at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 27 12:57:06 PST 2012

In my experience, when a dog first comes into my home, it is perfectly well behaved. I'm inclined to believe I've gotten the perfect basset--one who would never counter cruise, eat something awful, or disobey my slightest command.

I've learned, though, that it's only a matter of time before said basset settles in and feels comfortable. I know when that's happened because the dog starts doing things it never would have thought of before.

Holly has been here since the summer. She came to us at age eleven, a sedate and well-behaved hound. But I was inclined to think her people had been rather overbearing, requiring perfect obedience and enforcing it by punishment, because she's a bit hand shy. I started to encourage her to be herself. What was I thinking? She took that to mean that it's fine to eat poop. She also sometimes eats tissues. She's always been rather bossy with the other dogs--I wonder if she bossed the dachshunds she originally lived with. But I know she's beginning to feel at home here because she doesn't feel she needs to be perfect.

Younger Dexter has yet to be really bad. But he's only been here since the end of the summer. Who knows what he'll get up to a in month or two? Thankfully, he's too short to counter cruise.

I think it's a good sign when bad behavior starts. It shows that Tony is really yours, because he feels secure.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets