[Dailydrool] Dog Beds

Swartz foxybear at cox.net
Sun Feb 12 13:24:52 PST 2012

The Bad A** Basset Brothers have one bad a** bed in their room.  It is basset king size.  (get it..California king, basset king) Actually it is about the size of a twin bed (large bed becuase the boys like to sleep together) but this would also be a very comfortable bed for Mr. Cooper Sir or even Cyrus.  It is a Momma Custom made bed and it is so comfortable that if I had to sleep with the boyz becuase they got sick I would not mind sleeping on their bed with them.  So here is how I made it. (I am not any good with a sewing machine so this is a way to simple version)  I was able to get a long, thick piece of foam from one of the shipping crates from our manikins at work.  The foam is thick with an egg crate top, altogether it is about 6-7 inches thick. You can get this foam from a large craft store like JoAnn's Fabric or an Upolstorer Store.  I covered the foam with a twin size water proof zippered mattress cover to protect it from the hound dog smell. To make it a a little bit more snuggley I topped it with their old dog beds that I got from SAM's several years ago. To hold it all together I use a fitted mattress pad and then a fitted twin size sheet that I got from a thrift store for $3.00  For the winter the boys Auntie Val made them a bed/large pillow type case from an old couch cover for the bottom of the bed and a fuzzy turqouise cow pattern blanket that we found at a yard sale for $5.00 (it was for Pet Welfare so I forked over some extra moolah for it) I even add a second piece of foam as a pillow since the boyz like to lay their heads on a pillow.  Just the foam makes an excellent orthopedic bed for them...the old traditional worn down dog beds just make it like a pillow top mattress.  Top sheet or case gets washed once a week.  The mattress pad gets it every 2 weeks and the foam and 2 traditional dog beds get taken outside, sprayed with KOE and aired out in the sun at least 3-4 times a year.  The boyz love their bed and both of them inisist on finale outs and bed time cookies in their bed by 9:30. I have had this bed for almost 1 1/2 years now and today I just put a new water proof mattress cover on it.  I went too cheap on the 1st one and it dried out and started ripping.  For those of you more talented at sewing then I am you can co crazy making covers for a bed like this.

Love and drool to all.
Michele Momma to the Bad A** Basset Brothers
Colt "Is it bed time yet?"
Ruger "Have you changed the sheets on our bed yet this weekend?"

Women are Angels...And when someone breaks their wings..They simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...They are flexible like that...