[Dailydrool] Basket Hound

Susan Fulmer susanbfulmer at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 13:43:33 PST 2012

For months now, I thought we adopted a basset hound.  After all, Eli is
short, has long ears, that sad I-can-milk-this-for-anything-I want face.
Turns out I got a BASKET Hound.

My first clue should have been finding him sleeping on top of a pile of
fresh laundry.  "Oh that's so cute!  He's looking for a warm spot," I
thought.  But over the past few months, I would wake up to the sound of the
laundry basket moving around as Eli tried to jump in in the dark.  As a
good slave, I would check that the basket was sufficiently comfortable,
sometimes adding Eli's smaller bed, and then picking him up and putting him
in it because if there wasn't any laundry in it, it was light enough to
flip over when he jumped in.  The first morning after he did this, Eli's
daddy awoke, took one look, and said simply, "he's a basket case."

Over the past couple weeks, I have awoken, usually at 4 AM to the sound of
Eli opening the bifold closet doors in the bedroom.  Somehow he manages to
practically close the doors back.  The first night I jumped up thinking he
was looking for a place to potty and promptly took him out.  The second
time, I opened the closet and found him curled up in my "sock box."  (We
have limited drawer space, so I bought 2 big fabric bins- one for me and
one for hubby- to throw all the socks in.)  When I opened the door and saw
him sitting there curled in the box, he lifted his head and stared at me.
I felt like I had invaded his privacy.

I guess he would rather be a closet basket case.

-Susan with Eli (currently out of the closet and running with his squeaky
chicken)