[Dailydrool] Hi from Beth H. to my whole Daily Drool family -- thanks for being so wonderful

Hinchliffe at aol.com Hinchliffe at aol.com
Thu Jan 5 10:07:31 PST 2012

Hi everyone --

I just wanted to tell you again (and again and again and  again, if I
could) how much the protective embrace of your love has comforted  and protected
me these last few weeks.  You are my family, and I don't know  how I would
have been able to get through this long, scary, painful journey  without you.

I'm sorry I haven't been able to write to each of you yet, to  thank you
personally for every e-mail, card, note, present, and prayer that you  so
generously sent my way.  I'm having some trouble  writing -- it will be okay (it
had better be okay, since I'm a writer!) --  the neurosurgeon says that it
will just take some time before I can  do it on my own -- so for now a
friend is helping me put my words down here  in e-mail.  When I can do it myself,
I'll write more (there will be no  stopping me).

I thought you'd all enjoy this story.  I can't get up, so  the visiting
nurses have set up a bed for me downstairs and I've left my front  door
unlocked (if neither a brain tumor nor brain surgery can do me in, I'm  hardly
scared of a home invader) with a note out front saying "can't get up --  please
just ring the bell and walk in."  So yesterday afternoon I heard a  bell and
saw a big old dude filling up the whole doorway.  "I'm Joe,  the florist,"
he bellowed, seeming embarrassed to death, then so solicitous when  he saw
my head.  He placed the flowers just where they were perfect for me  to see
catching the sun from the window.  And you know who they were  from?  Patti
Pike and Miss Bella, my Secret Pawtners from last year!   Wasn't that the
sweetest, most loving thing for them to do?!  (And it gave  a story for Joe to
tell his buddies.)

Another favorite, favorite package I received is an incredible  treasure
from Karen Muchmore.  She packaged up and sent me ALL of last  year's (2010)
howliday cards!  She must know me so well, because that is so  exactly what I
adore and cherish and have spent so much time with.  I have  special
glasses that are helping the transition from surgery, and they're  perfect for
focusing in on every glorious big old face.

BUT -- I wish I had an answer for my mystery ... just before I  went in the
hospital, I received an enormous, generous, great fun surprise gift  box
from ABC Slobber Shoppe!  All it said inside was "Merry Christmas,"  with no
clue as to who my Secret Santa Paws might be.  I wrote to ABC and  asked for
any hints, and they won't give me anything, so I have no idea which  loving
Daily Drool "relative" I can thank!  It was filled with things I  love --
including some that came right to the hospital with me, like cozy warm  basset
sleep socks
(with the rubber on the bottom so I wouldn't slip as I was  getting used to
walking again).

And another really special story for you -- my favorite item  out of this
ABC box was something I adored as soon as I lay eyes on it -- a  shiny
siilvery basset key chain with cute little charms -- a basset, a food  bowl, a
bone, etc.  You know how sometimes something hits you as absolutely  perfect?
That was this, for me.  That day when I reported for surgery  I was beyond
terrified, but I kept the key chain hidden in my hand, the ring  around my
thumb, holding tight tight tight onto it.  When they came to  wheel me into
the o.r. (hello, doctors?  it would be really nice if you  KNOCKED OUT YOUR
PATIENTS before wheeling them in!), they spotted it, and I was  sure they'd
take it away, but they were so nice, a nurse carefully taped it  inside my
hospital bracelet, so when I woke up the next day in ICU, there it  was, still
comforting me.

(This is Beth's friend writing now -- it's taken us over an  hour to get
this much done and she's fallen asleep, so I'm just going to send  this off, I
have to leave and she was so eager to get it to you today.   From all of
her "local" friends, thanks to every one of you for everything  you've done
for her.  We feel like we know a lot of you, and it's wonderful  to see the
joy your love brings to her.)

Love,
Beth H. (Duchess ATB and Blueberry ATB)