[Dailydrool] back yard breeders

Margaret Honnold machonnold at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 5 10:03:25 PST 2012

Hi Droolers, I just need to vent a little. This is no way reflects on my many friends who are responsible breeders.

Yesterday one of my clients mothers came to my office. Her mother, who was a backyard breeder and from whom I purchased Hollyberry before I knew better, had "sold out" last spring. I was the recepient of Phoebe Grace because the so-called "wonderful guy" who had purchased all of their "stock" did not want Phoebe. It seems that the person who bought all of the adults and puppies from the grandmother had decided he didn't want the dogs any more because they were "not breeding fast enough for him." (Imagine muffled scream from me as she told me this.) He had abandoned them outside and stopped feeding them.

Evidently a woman who saw this happening and has 2 Bassets called the guy and asked about the dogs. He gave them all to her. She picked them up, took them home and is feeding them. Guess she is going to keep "Sissy" who was Hollyberry's mom. I don't know what she is doing with the others.

This is another example of why we do what we do....care and feeding of dogs, education about puppy mills, driving miles day and night to rescue if necessary. I was heart broken. I had volunteered to take all of those dogs but the orginal breeders took money and passed them on.

Also, there is a family in the town where I work who have a Basset they are neglecting. I was to pick him up and send a photo to GABR. I never had gotten over to get the photo.....he was found dead in the ditch in front of their house.  I am so sad...I should have just gone a gotten him and worried about the photo and what the family said later. Crap.

So on the happy note.  I intend to double down on my rescue efforts, keep an eye for situations in which Bassets need help and continue to love my own rescues.
Snooters,
Maggie Honnold
Honnold' Hound and Furkitty Farm
Thelms Lou, Huckleberry, Phoebe Grace and Cousin Bandit
Furkitties: Cali and Bigfoot