[Dailydrool] Hello Fellow Basset Friends!

Marie Campbell moonlitlily1212 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 7 19:32:58 PST 2012

Hello Listers,
My name is Marie Campbell. I got my first Basset Hound in 2007.  I own a commercial and residential cleaning service with my mother.  One of our clients adopted an 8 month old tri colored basset named Fancy at PetCo adoption days.  The minute I saw her I fell madly in love with her.  She was the sweetest, happiest, most affectionate dog I had ever encountered (and I also own Newfs and Saints)!  Unfortunately, this family had a history of rapid pet turn over and I suspected that the novelty of Fancy would soon wear off.  I told them if they ever tired of her that I would love to have her.  They assured me that their 8 year old son loved her dearly and they would never part with her.

Fast forward 6 months later and Fancy had been through allot.  The husband of this family accidentally ran her over with his one ton pick-up truck. Fortunately on soft sand.  Her hip was broken but her organs were not injured.  They paid to have her hip replaced to the tune of $3,600-.  Around this time Fancy started to change.  She became fearful and would scream if you tried to pick her up or made sudden movements around her.  Her scar also had not healed from her surgery and the leg was still painful 4 months later.

After returning from spring vacation, the mother of the house called me and asked me if I still wanted Fancy.  I said, "Yes, of course but if you don't mind me asking why are you getting rid of her?"
She said, " She pees and poops all over the house.  What are you going to do about it?"

I said, " No, problem.  I will just crate train her and re-house break her."
She said, "I am taking her shock collar off (they have underground fencing) and I leaving her for you in the front yard."

We raced over there and picked her up.  I got her home and put her in a big 700 crate with blankets so my Newfs and my Saint could get used to her.  She was very depressed for three days and moped around.  On the third day, she popped out of her crate like a Vegas show girl out of a cake.  The Newfs and Saints loved her and she loved to boss them around!!!!

I found out from my vet that her surgery scar had not healed and she was still in pain because she was 10 pounds under weight.  She didn't have enough body fat to heal properly.  After allot of good grub and love, Fancy's hip healed completely and she was back to being her friendly, sweet self.  She also run like the wind now or as close as a Basset can.

One of the things I love best about Fancy and all Bassets is their unlimited capacity for love and friendliness.  No human has ever been as happy to see me as my dogs and especially my
Bassets!!!!

Fancy rules the Newfs and Saint with an iron fist.  She can get them off the couch in 10 seconds if they are in her spot.  She ruthlessly grooms their faces and ears.  She will also crawl on them while they are sleeping and nibble their lips until they wake up and play with her.

After enjoying Fancy's antics for 5 years, I decided to adopt a lemon and white Basset boy from our local humane society.  He was evacuated from the Mississippi flood and was 20 pounds under weight when I got him.  He is 2 or 3 years old and a 60 pounder at his ideal weight now.  A BIG, Heavy Boy and PERFECTION!!!!  I just adore him.  He is so silly but so sweet and devoted.  I named him Luke and I call him my Mississippi Man.

As if that weren't enough, I got a notice from one of my rescue pals that an animal control had a tri colored Basset boy.  He was found wandering the streets of Tampa and he had a limp.  He had a collar on and clearly had spent years on a chain in some one's yard. The hair around his neck was all warn off from being on a chain so long.  He was so desperate for affection that he would cry and yelp with over excitement whenever you petted or held him.  His limp was caused by his toenails growing into the pads of his  rear right foot.   Of course, I put in my application after I saw him and got approved to adopt him.  It was a long 13 days waiting to see if his owners showed up or if his breeder would respond to animal control's calls.  He was microchipped by his breeder but no one ever responded to animal controls calls ssssooooooo,

We now have our monkey boy, Beau.   He is about 4 years old and I think he might have ADD.  He is all nose and will follow a trail forever.  THANK GOD for chain link fencing!  He was really over stimulated when he first came here and had dogs to play with and a big yard to play in.  He also came with a bacterial skin infection and a horrible staph infection in his newly neutered incision.  Fortunately, he now seems to truly be on the road to recovery and loves wrestling with big dogs and short ones.  He is a wonderful, some what hyper boy but so full of sweetness and affection.  He is never grumpy unlike Fancy and Luke who let their displeasure be known if any dog violates their good napping areas!!!!

I feel truly blessed to be sharing my life with Basset Hounds.  I now know I will always have to have a Basset to share my life with.
Sorry this intro is so long!
Marie Campbell
P.S.
Fancy has never peed or pooped in the house since I have owned her.  I just think she was terribly unhappy with her other family.
Man Plans ~ God Laughs